This project provided additional teaching and research space for one of the leading Universities in the South West.
The design of this 1600m2 extension to an existing 1950’s building provided extensive and flexible teaching spaces and laboratories, together with a range of academic and postgraduate work spaces for an Engineering Faculty at a local SW university. The project also involved the renovation and refurbishment of a number of laboratories within the existing building.
”The design options were explored ‘in-depth’ and with genuine collaboration, ensuring the project was delivered safely, to the required quality, within the budget and on time. This has been a very successful project and is largely due to a good team, working together and having great communicationUniversity Client
The site was a challenging one with many constraints including the difference in level across a steeply sloping site, existing mature trees, a significant number of below ground services that needed to be relocated before construction work could commence, and working adjacent to a ‘live’ university facility. Close collaboration with the whole project team from Client through to Contractor helped to create a dramatic and inspiring structure, which blends enduringly with its established setting. The structural design solution delivered at BIM Level 2, maximised the usable space available within a tightly constrained and challenging site.